Thursday, July 8, 2010

BLOG #5: Final Wimby Reflection

Last of 5 entries (PLEASE READ IN ORDER FROM BOTTOM UP!):)

5 other minor stories struck me from 2010 Wimby:

1) When Roddick lost to Lu, I genuinely felt for him. I considered him a legitimate contender to win this thing, and after how close he was last year and how well he played on the hard stuff in March, I was sorely disappointed. I also have tremendous admiration for Roddick’s work ethic and consistency. The fact that he has been in the top 10 seven straight years says it all. I truly DESPISE when sports fans who know next to nothing about tennis trash on Roddick for not winning more slams. They assume that just because he won the Open in 2003 at 21 and nothing since, he must be a choker and under-achiever. I actually think Roddick has OVER-ACHIEVED. There has been one small problem for him: Roger and Rafa. He might have won 5 slams by not were it not for them!!!! HOWEVER, one thing I have noticed since he lost weight and improved his overall backcourt game is that he has lost what won him that slam in 2003. He used to rely on a his huge serve and one massive forehand—now he has gotten away from hitting that big and at times gets too cute.

2) I actually felt sorry for Djokovich as he double faulted and choked his way into his loss against Berdych in the Semis. I respect Novak and like the guy, and it is painful to see him have such serving issues this past year. His window is closing, and he had better win another slam soon, or he might go away. Is there a #2 in the world who deserves that ranking less?

3) I also felt for Murray in his semi’s loss against Rafa. Considering all of the pressure he is under, he played an amazing first two sets. When he had that 6-5 lead in the second set breaker and missed that first serve and lost the point, I felt the match and tournament slip away. I hope he wins a slam soon (I am picking him in NYC), because the longer he waits, the bigger the monkey on his back gets. With Murray, he is such a great defender, I believe he relies on that too much and does not rip his forehand effectively enough. You can’t win slams or be number one in the men’s game without a HUGE FOREHAND. Ask Rafa. Or Fed.

4) On another note, I was so pleased to see Soderling cement the fact that I consider him to be the third best player in the world right now and to see Berdych finally fully arrive. I like when talents like Sod and Berd live up to their billing and finally learn what it means to put in the work week in and week out. I hated Soder when he beat Rafa last year in the French, but now I respect him. Is there a scarier player on the tour? NO ONE wants to see him in their draw! It is also so great to see someone like Berdych come into his own. I consider him a legitimate threat to win ANY slam now. And the men’s game just gets DEEPER…

5) Lastly, when I see guys like Cilic lose in the first round, Verdasco go down in round 2, Almagro in round one, Blake go down again early, Monfils bow out in the 32, Tsonga fail once again to make a true stand, and Gulbis drop out before the tourni even starts, I am reminded of just how hard it is to be in the top 5 and win slams. For how talented are Verdasco and JoWillie and Gael? But every time you begin to believe in them, they break your heart. Where would Monfils and Gulbis be if they had Rafa’s head and heart? And why the heck can’t Cilic make his serious break through?

NOT ENOUGH FIRE IN THE BELLY?

All of these are reminders of how amazing guys like Rafa and Fed truly are.

Man, it’s hard to be great.

Ask Michael Jordan. Or Derek Jeter. Or Bruce Springstein. Or Bill Gates.
You can get to the quarters. You can win a tourni in Toledo. Maybe you can even win a major…Once.

Try winning 16. Or even 8.

Try winning the French Open and Wimby back to back.

Then we’ll talk GREAT.

AD OUT….

5 comments:

  1. Great blog, Jake. Love the Murray call. Will you be blogging live from LA tourney?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I will-- thanks for the shout out and watch out for Murray this hard court season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JW--- a professional blogger - gotta love that. This guy knows his stuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blog! Look forward to your insightful commentary and hope to compliment it with some wit of my own in the comments section. :)

    ReplyDelete