Saturday, July 10, 2010

Who the Hell am I and What is this Blog For?

My name is Jake Willens, I am 32 years old, I live in Culver City, CA with my wife Jennie, 7 month old daughter Grace, yellow Lab Kona, and I am a TENNIS-AHOLIC. That’s right, I am powerless over my love for and obsession with tennis, and I may need a 12 step group to bring back my sanity.

Or perhaps this blog will provide a healthy outlet for my crazy tennis mind?

Jennie jokes that 4 times a year (the majors) when I have Direct TV’s 7 channels running in conjunction with ESPN 360’s live feed from our computer, I act like our daughter when she is playing with her ruby duckies in the bathtub. That’s how into I get.

It is kind of sick.

How did I get here? Well, I grew up on the west side of Los Angeles in a family where tennis was ingrained in our blood. My father and mother were professional players (actually my mom was in the top 10 in the world, but much to our dismay before women were even paid), and my two older sisters were college tennis players. My father’s two best friends are college tennis coaches, so one could say I was mildly surrounded by tennis. I couldn’t escape.

It was surprising then, when at age 12 after I had won several junior tennis tournaments and looked to have a bright future in the sport, I chose to focus instead on baseball. I went on to play baseball at Stanford (where my mom and sister had played tennis). I couldn’t escape tennis even there, though, as I lived in SAE, the frat with all of the tennis team, and I even wrote the men’s tennis beat for our school newspaper. We were #1 in the country both in tennis and in baseball when I was there, so I know a little bit about what it takes to play at a high level.

I also learned a ton about that from my grandfather, Frankie Albert, who was a great left-handed quarterback for Stanford University and the San Francisco 49ers. He also went on to coach the 9ers.

Do you get the idea that I have kind of been surrounded by sports my whole life?

It was only when I was well out of college and into my English teaching career at Brentwood School in Los Angeles that I fell back in love with tennis. It began slowly in 2004 when my dad told me about this Spanish clay courter he’d seen in a satellite tourni in Argentina. My dad said, watch out, this guy is for real. The kid’s name was Rafael Nadal. I started following his progress, and my love for men’s tennis continued to rise as fast as his ranking did.

That love became so strong that when I woke up the Monday after Wimbledon recently with tennis withdrawl and wanting someone to talk to about it, I knew I had to do something. Originally, my idea was to write a tennis book that would require much traveling, but I figured I want to do something before I retire in about 40 years (that is if I ever retire on a teacher’s salary)! So, this blog was born.

What is the purpose of this blog? Well, all blogs are about communicating, aren’t they? This one will hopefully allow us to communicate about tennis, and sports in general, and yes, even life lessons learned there. Let’s create a Center Court where tennis and sports lovers can read about and respond to issues both between and outside the white lines. I hope to make the appeal compelling enough, and broad enough, that all people who enjoy sports (and perhaps even a few who don’t) can sit up and say, “hey, yeah, totally!” Or even, “what, no way, dude.”

And when all is said and done, maybe you’ll even agree with me that tennis the greatest sport in the world and the one that teaches us the most life lessons.
This is what I do every day with my Middle School students; we try to find the lessons for all of us in Shakespeare or Mark Twain or Langston Hughes.

Why not Nadal and Federer?

Let’s serve ‘em up.

AD OUT…

No comments:

Post a Comment